Downeast Maine Pumpkin BreadCourse: BreakfastDifficulty: Easy
his is a great old Maine recipe, moist and spicy. The bread actually tastes even better the day after it is baked. Great for holiday gift giving!
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
1 cup vegetable oil
⅔ cup water
3 cups white sugar
3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 7×3 inch loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, water and sugar until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour into the prepared pans.
- Bake for about 50 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Loaves are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.